June 2023 Quarterly Challenge
For those wanting to participate in our June 2023 Quarterly Challenge...
Details on how to apply the Sunset challenge are written farther down.
Complete an entry form, click here. You will need to describe how you applied the Sunset theme to your entry on the entry form.
Drop off 2 samples of your entry at Old 121 Brewhouse by Sunday, June 11th by close of business. If you would like to use it, a bottle label link is available, click here.
Attend our June BBQ meeting on Saturday June 17th (details to come as we are closer).
Remember to bring 2-3 additional samples to share for sampling.
Winners will be announced.
Information on how to apply the Sunset challenge to your beverages:
1. Visual representation: A sunset beer should have a beautiful, gradient appearance, mimicking the colors of a sunset. Think of hues ranging from deep amber and rich oranges to warm pinks and soft purples, creating a captivating visual experience in the glass.
2. Flavor profile: A sunset beer should have a well-balanced flavor profile that evokes the transition from day to night. Consider incorporating fruity and citrus notes reminiscent of daytime brightness, followed by a gentle touch of malt sweetness, like the sun dipping below the horizon. As the flavor develops, earthy and roasted undertones can emerge, representing the encroaching darkness of the night.
3. Aroma: The aroma of a sunset beer should be an enticing blend of fruity, floral, and earthy scents. Tropical fruit, citrus, and berry aromas can be interwoven with subtle floral hints and grounded by an earthy, slightly spicy base. This aromatic profile will transport drinkers to a serene evening under a setting sun.
4. Mouthfeel: A sunset beer should have a smooth, medium-bodied mouthfeel that is easy to drink and leaves a pleasant, lingering aftertaste. It should be refreshing and crisp, like a cool breeze as the sun sets, but also have a comforting warmth, similar to the last rays of the day.
5. Ingredients: To achieve the desired colors, flavors, and aromas, consider using a variety of specialty grains, hops, and adjuncts. Experiment with caramel and Munich malts for amber hues and a touch of sweetness, and roasted malts for darker, earthier notes. For hops, choose varieties that contribute fruity, citrus, and floral characteristics, such as Citra, Mosaic, or Amarillo. You can also add fruit purees or zest, herbs, or spices to further enhance the sunset theme.
A sunset beer should be a harmonious blend of captivating colors, well-balanced flavors, and enticing aromas that transport drinkers to a serene evening under a setting sun.
LFC Quarterly Challenge Archive
March 2023 2nd Annual White Elephant Results
1st Place: Smokey Vienna Lager, Mic H.
2nd Place: The Red Rocker, American Amber, Terry F.
3rd Place: Lemon Drop Lavender Mead, Hydromel Mead, Will B.
December 2022 Old 121 Brewhouse Scale Up Stout Challenge Results
1st Place: RP Chocolate Stout, Chuck W.
2nd Place: RP Chocolate Stout with Coffee, Chuck W.
3rd Place: Box of Chocolates, Terry F.
Thanks to all who participated and congrats to the winners!
September 2022 Oats Challenge Results
1st Place: Sara Smile, Steve A.
2nd Place: Muy Buena Cerveza de Avena, Josh & Deidre
3rd Place: Oatmeal Brown, Buzz J.
June 2022 Clone Wars Challenge Results
1st Place: Locomotive Breath (Anchor Steam Clone), Steve E. & Nic Y.
2nd Place: Epic Los Locos Clone, Jesse M.
3rd Place: King of all the Fairies (Bells Oberon Clone), Chuck W.